Saturday, September 18, 2010

YOM KIPPUR

.
.
Yom Kippur is one of the nicest holidays here in Israel. It is the second time I am here at this time of the year and I have learned to really like this two totally calm and enjoyable days. All (yes this time all of them) shops are closed, no cars what so ever on the streets from Friday sunset until Saturday night until you can spot 3 stars on the sky. This doesn't mean that the streets are empty, no the opposite. Everyone is out biking, walking, talking, playing and enjoying the space.
.
For the religious Yom Kippur is of course much more than enjoying the empty street, they also fast and..... okey I will not even try to explain more about that then you will all realise how little I know about it... But if you are eager to know read about it here. But for me it is a great fun day and yes we do eat. But we don't make BBQ, eat in the garden or bring bananas on the walk, just to show a little respect to the many people that do fast (also many nonreligious fast).
.
I close my eyes and hear just the nature, people talking and kids playing...
.

No comments: